What does PBIS emphasize?
In general, SW-PBIS or SWPBS emphasizes four integrated elements:
- data for decision making,
- measurable outcomes supported and evaluated by data,
- practices with evidence that these outcomes are achievable, and
- systems that efficiently and effectively support implementation of these practices.
These four elements are guided by six important principles:
- Develop a continuum of scientifically-based behavior and academic interventions and supports
- Use data to make decisions and solve problems
- Arrange the environment to prevent the development and occurrence of problem behavior
- Teach and encourage prosocial skills and behaviors
- Implement evidence-based behavioral practices with fidelity and accountability
- Screen universally and monitor student performance & progress continuously