School Teams: Tier II
According to PBIS researchers Everett, Sugai, Fallon, Simonsen, and O’Keeffe (2011) Tier II interventions are typically group-based, standardized practices and systems designed to supplement primary prevention efforts, and are appropriate for students who exhibit problem behaviors across multiple settings.
Crone, Hawken, and Horner (2010) indicate that Tier II interventions have the following critical features:
- Consistent, standardized implementation across students
- Easily accessible (e.g., within a few days of referral)
- Continuous availability
- Implemented by all school staff
- Consistent with extra doses of school-wide expectations and interventions
A range of evidence-based Tier II interventions meet these criteria, and most incorporate effective practices, such as:
- Targeted and explicit skill instruction
- Acknowledgements of appropriate behavior
- Increased adult support
- Frequent performance feedback for targeted behaviors
- Plans for generalization and maintenance
Example Tier II Interventions include:
- Check-In/Check-Out (CICO)
- Check & Connect
- Social Skills Lessons
- Second Step
- Safe Seat
Details of these interventions can be found on the PowerPoint: Teams Tier II Section Tier II Interventions.pptx
Tier II Overviews
Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports: Tier 2 Group Supports
PBIS connects positive schoolwide culture to student needs. We will help you get started developing practices that help students who need a little extra support once you have buy-in and agreed-upon expectations from all of your school colleagues. EdMN 2015 - PBIS Tier II ACCESSIBLE
Supporting Students At-Risk for Recurring Problem Behavior
Identify critical features of Tier 2 systems & interventions, review CICO as a primary Tier 2 intervention, identify other common Tier 2 interventions & considerations, and suggestions for a Tier 2 Continuum of Support.
- Keynote:“Supporting Students At-Risk for Recurring Problem Behavior: Tier 2 Systems of SW-PBIS” – Chris Borgmeier.pdf
Data Teaming - Tier 2+ Individual Student Behavior Support
For students that are not responding to typical Tier 2 interventions.
Tier II Tools
Tier 2 tools from Chris Borgmeier, PhD Portland State University that includes self-assessments, meeting notes templates, targeted interventions “map”, and point cards.